Episode 10 / For the love of Taylor Swift and Guns N' Roses
As two opposite people, we of course have two opposite kinds of music we love. We discuss if Taylor Swift and Guns N' Roses (and more!) could be our common ground.
This episode at a glance:
Episode Percentage of Taylor Swift talk (always brought up by Indiana)
- Believe it or not, but MTV used to play videos! Here's why they don't anymore! (warning: NSFW due to language! Satire video via Gawker)
- Buzzfeed read: "Now That's What I Call Music was the Only CD Collection You Needed".
- What was Napster? (via Wikipedia)
- Not an Onion article: Ryan Adams covers Taylor Swift's 1989 in the style of the Smiths (with video via NY Daily).
- The death of the album; physical album sales only make up 32% of the music industry's revenue (pdf via RIAA).
- How Colombia House Made Money Giving Away Music (via Mental Floss)
- Rivers Cuomo: Weezer's Invisible Man (via Rolling Stone)
- Taylor Swift's 1989 tour comes to Atlanta in October on Indiana's birthday weekend!
- Famed Atlanta club, The Masquerade is closing (via AJC.com)
- Missed: Wrecking Ball Festival
- Indiana's new favorite radio station: OG 97.9 Classic Hip Hop
- Correction: Jeffrey Dahmer is from Ohio, not Indiana. Apologies to the state of Indiana from the person Indiana.
MUSIC REFERENCED THIS EPISODE:
Chris mentions: Van Halen- Jump, Genesis - That's All, Aerosmith- Pump (first album purchased), NOW 55 (crazy this exists!), Guns n' Roses- Appetite for Destruction (definitive album), Dustin Kensrue- Carry the Fire (one of last two albums purchased), Braid- No Coast (last album purchased), Jessica Simpson- Sweet Kisses (owned for "research" purposes).
Indiana mentions: Michael Jackson- Thriller (first tape), Tevin Campbell- Can We Talk (first CD), Megan Trainer - All About the Bass (song often stuck in Jude's head), Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars- Uptown Funk (current song stuck in Jude's head), Taylor Swift- 1989 (last CD purchased and definitive album), Ed Sheeran- Photographs (last song downloaded), The Corrs- Borrowed Heaven (embarrassingly own), The Spin Doctors- Turn it Upside Down (embarrassingly own), Jock Jams 1, 2, & 3 (wish list!), Jimmy Eat World- Clarity (definitive album).
Quote of the show:
"You own a lot second albums by one hit wonders." -Chris on Indiana's puzzling music buying habits.
- Which music artists do you have their entire catalog?
- Do you rip or download entire albums or just the songs you like?
- Were you a member of the Colombia House Music Group? If so, what were some of your introductory CD's?
- What is the most "embarrassing" album you still own?
- What is your definitive album?
- How much do you love Taylor Swift's 1989?
- Befriend Indiana on Instagram to see what kind of trouble the munchkins are getting into throughout the week!
- Keep that iTunes loving coming. We finally cracked iTunes' New & Noteworthy section, so thank you!
- Use the share buttons below and share us with a friend. Or enemy, depending on how you feel about us.