Episode 06 / Parenting rules vs. Parenting RULES!
Episode six rules. Or rather it's all about rules: what rules we had growing up, what rules our kids have now. We discuss if our younger siblings had the same rules we did and talk a little bit about free range parents and helicopter parents and how it may be possible to be both!
THIS EPISODE AT A GLANCE:
Just a Theory: % Likelihood Of you being a rule follower depending on your birth order
- Opening reference: O'Doyle Rules (video compilation)
- Chris is the oldest of five brothers whereas Indiana is an only child who, in high school, moved in with her aunt and uncle and two younger cousins. Relevant: birth order infographic.
- The four letter F word we reference is the word "FART". We didn't want to say it on the show in case you're a parent who doesn't allow your kid to say "fart" and they are eavesdropping while you enjoy MJ&DJ. Relevant: 150 Different Words For 'Fart' (via HuffPo).
- TV shows we mention: The Simpsons, You Can't Do That on Television, Roseanne, South Park
- For nostalgia's sake: Vintage Bart Simpson shirts (Etsy), You Can't Do That on Television: Barth's Burgers (Youtube), YCDTOTV: Slime, Water, & Pie compilation (Youtube).
- Indiana on Camp Patton
- Jude's Kinderkitchen knife (Amazon)
- Indiana's childhood bike ride (Google maps)
- Definitions: Helicopter Parent and Free Range Parenting
- Relevant website: The Free Range Kids Project
- Book referenced: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
- The Stanford Marshmallow Experiment
- CORRECTION: My younger cousin who I say went to Paris with a boy corrected me. They went to London. BUT STILL!
QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
"Let me see that Tootsie Roll." -Chris
- Where do you fall in terms of birth order? Do you think that has any affect on the rules you had (or didn't have) growing up?
- Were you allowed to say "fart" growing up? Do you allow your kids to say fart now?
- Parents: What is your favorite parenting rule? Non-parents: Go, ahead! Share one of your "I would NEVER ______ when I become a parent." No judgement!
- We have four more weeks to try to land in New & Notable on iTunes. We aren't sure how it works, but we think it's a combo of downloads, five star ratings, and written reviews on iTunes. We would still appreciate the iTunes love!
- Add Indiana on Instagram if you haven't already. We love sharing snippets of life there, too.